Sorry for not updating for awhile. It's been a bit of a tough fall. I don't have a history of smooth pregnancies, and didn't feel like talking about it on here. However, now that it's monopolozing our lives, I figured it's time for a brief update. Around the 30-week mark, I lost consciousness during a doctor's appointment. That led to a flurry of tests at the hospital, a referral to an OB, and eventually me being admitted to hospital at 33 weeks. Long story short, my body can't seem to properly absorb sodium these days which is resulting in very low blood pressure and me struggling to stay conscious. Fortunately the baby is oblivious and is still thriving (35 weeks today). I was cooped up in the hospital for 10 long days and was finally allowed to come home on day passes (yes I'm still officially admitted and have an IV needle permanently attached to my arm - the kids call it a straw for when my "arm needs a drink") but have to go back daily for IV fluids, meds, fetal monitoring, blood tests etc. The plan is to induce labour as soon as I hit term at 37 weeks. It's been a very rough time for all of us but it looks like we're through the worst of it. Pete morphed into "Super Dad" overnight (that's not to say that he wasn't always a super Dad, but he was truly a superhero while I was hospitalized) - he somehow managed to fit it all in: be a full-time single parent, make daily visits to Mommy in the hospital (a couple of times even bringing a picnic dinner), AND work a full week of hours from home while the kids were napping or sleeping. That said, we both relied on some very wonderful friends during that time. A very HUGE thank you to:
Kelly and Cliff: who looked after our kids for 3 long days while Pete was in Montreal on a business trip, and provided me with lots of DVDs and Dr. Pepper to help me through;
Nikki and Joyce: who paid me daily visits in the hospital (sometimes even twice a day when I hit my lowest lows) and lent me their iPod Touch which they loaded with tv shows and music after I cancelled my TV subscription (which cost $60 for only 4 days!!!);
Desrae: who accidentally mistook me for the sleeping toothless lady in the room across the hall (who was 39 weeks pregnant with TWINS!) and provided her with magazines, treats and soup (hee hee, I still crack up at the thought!); and
All my awesome family and friends who called daily in attempts to keep my spirits up. I'm not sure how I would have held up without all of you!
Pete's Mom, Arlene, is here now and is such a huge help (I'm technically not supposed to be getting out of bed except for my daily visits to the hospital). My Mom tags in next Sunday and will be staying with us until mid-December to help with the transition to 3 kids. Frankly, I think adjusting to 3 kids will be a breeze compared to trying to cope with 2 while struggling to stay conscious!!
IN OTHER NEWS, the boys are doing great. I could tell you about Josh chipping off a large chunk of his front tooth (while peeling a banana of all things!), getting it capped, and then knocking out the cap... but there are far more pleasant things I could share...! He continues to amaze us daily with his increasing vocabulary and budding personality. If only he could figure out how to put his hands down before his face when he falls...
Ethan has finally mastered skating (or at least standing up on ice!) and actually enjoys his lessons now. He is still quite the little fish and is on track to finish all the Red Cross lessons available until 6 years of age a full year early. He is thriving at school and was invited for his first playdate by a classmate last week.
Ok, enough banter! Want to see some pictures??? Here is a look at our various fall activities, including Hallowe'en which was a huge hit this year (Ethan was Spiderman and Josh was Winnie the Pooh). Enjoy... and stay tuned for baby news in just 2 short weeks (ack!)!
 |
| Fall walk down by the waterfront. |
 |
| Walk with Devon Richardson. |
 |
| Dev and Jen. |
 |
| Dev and Ethan. |
 |
| At the Pumpkin Maze at Dutch Grower's. |
 |
| Josh's chipped tooth. Sigh. |
 |
| 32 weeks (taken by Ethan). |
 |
| Josh and Jake Maybee. |
 |
| Jake and Ethan. |
 |
| Hallowe'en! |
 |
| Nonni and Spiderman! |
 |
| LET'S GO! |
 |
| Back home and waiting for the last of the Trick or Treaters. |
No comments:
Post a Comment