Monday, February 27, 2012

Not the Family Week we envisioned...

The kids had their Family Week break last week and we had tons of fun stuff planned, including a trip to Regina to check out the Science Museum. Unfortunately things didn't quite pan out the way we expected.

It started out as planned. Josh's hockey team played during the Blades game Friday night and we had a great night cheering on both Josh and the Blades.






On Saturday night, Pete and I were out at a party at a friend's house when our sitter called to inform us Leah had tossed her cookies. We called it a night and came home, hoping it wasn't yet another bug that would run through us all (we'd just gotten over a doozie that had run through us all shortly after our trip to Elk Ridge).

In spite of a sleepless night, Ethan and I were very keen to try out our newly purchased ski equipment for the first time and took off for Table Mountain early Sunday morning while Pete held down the fort. We had a great day and the weather was spectacular.



To my surprise, Leah was still sick when we got home later that evening. On Monday morning, Pete flew up north for work. We were sure Leah would be feeling better before long. We were wrong. After 3 days straight of her not being able to keep anything down (and no sleep), I finally admitted to myself that I was losing the hydration battle (and my sanity) and decided to take her in to the hospital. With Pete away I was once again reminded of what wonderful friends we have in Saskatoon. Whether it was taking the boys at a moment's notice, inviting them for playdates, taking them to hockey, or dropping dinner off on my doorstep, I was unbelievably overwhelmed by the support. To make a long story short, Leah's bug lasted for 6 long days, and included 2 trips to the hospital and one to our family doctor's walk in clinic. It was a nightmare of a week!!

Pete came home Thursday night. Given he'd missed Family Day on Monday, he was able to take Friday off and Leah rallied enough so that we could all go bowling. Ethan had his best game ever, but was heartbroken when his Dad beat him by one measly point!!! Ethan still had me take a picture of the screen to record his best-ever score:



Finally on Saturday Leah started eating again. And eating. And eating. She is well on her way to regaining all the weight she lost and is back to all her old shenanigans. I never thought I'd be so happy to hear her fight with her brothers...!

Looking forward to making up for all the missed fun during the kids' Spring break in April...

No comments: