Friday, December 11, 2009

Move over Santa... we have a Super Sport!!

I'm not a big fan of Santa. There I said it. Forgive me. I hate lying to the kids and I still remember the bitter disappointment and betrayal I felt when I learned the truth. Yes Santa will still be coming to our house, and yes the presents will all magically appear Christmas morning... but when the questions start coming (which they already have from a certain precocious 5 year old), I won't go to any great lengths to cover up the truth.

So I guess it won't come as a huge surprise that the kids weren't big on the idea of sitting on the big guy's lap. It was actually a hilarious scene. Josh was excited to pick out one of his sweaters to wear and I got Leah dressed in her new Christmas dress from Nonnie (but didn't notice how badly her shoes clashed with the rest of her adorable outfit...!). We picked Ethan up from a playdate on the way to the mall, so I just threw in a Christmas sweater that I thought would fit him. It didn't. Not even close. We were all full of giggles as we wrenched the thing over his head. The picture doesn't really do it justice, but the poor boy could barely breathe squeezed into that thing. When we got to Santa, there was no one else there. They told me I had to pre-pay for the photo which I balked at and said I'd pay once I saw it. They reluctantly agreed. The boys who debated endlessly in the van about what they were going to ask for clammed up when jolly old Saint Nick started asking questions (I do have to give kudos to this Santa - he's wonderful with the kids and comes complete with a genuine beard). They refused to sit on his lap and wouldn't pose for a picture unless I got in it with them (oh joy). Leah wasn't the least bit impressed with being handed over and screamed bloody murder the second I let go. The lady operating the camera jingled some bells, snapped a picture when we were all looking her way and declared her job done. When I asked to see the picture, she showed me a thumbnail-size proof which she refused to zoom in and assured me it was great. So I blindly handed over my money and went back to the mall the next day to pick up the "masterpiece":



At the very least, we all have a good laugh when we look at it. It also serves as the perfect reminder that squeezing into sweaters and being full of giggles is far more fun than asking a strangely-clad stranger for presents. I'm excited to see the real spirit of the season come alive in the kids this year. They are working hard to clean out the play room and are carefully selecting toys for kids less fortunate. I love that the countdown to Christmas is more about counting down until we're surrounded by family as opposed to all the loot. And I love that Santa will be responsible for underwear, socks and toothbrushes, while the grande finale will come from Mom and Dad. Sorry Santa... you're just not that big a deal in this house....

BUT SOMEONE ELSE SURE IS!! We had a very exciting morning today! Ethan played his heart out at hockey and was rewarded with the "Super Sport Player of the Game". The look on his face when he heard his name called was priceless - even our shy little man could not hide behind the gigantic grin that spread across his face. We went right from the game to the Source for Sports store that sponsors the award where he proudly held up his certificate and was then swept up in a flurry of activity. They threw a "Super Sport" jersey on him, took his picture, sharpened his skates and handed over a prize pack complete with a "Super Sport" toque, mini stick and piggy bank. The whole time we were in there, every staff member kept congratulating him and calling him "Super Sport". It was awesome! At one point, someone asked him what he did to be awarded the prize, and his response was, "well you have to skate really hard and try your best and that's how you become a Super Sport". Needless to say, he's got a very proud Mama and Papa tonight!




In other news, I should also mention that both Josh and Ethan passed their swimming levels and have graduated on to Salamander and Whale, respectively. Josh is absolutely thriving at Preschool and will start attending 3 mornings a week in the new year. He is mastering skating at record speeds and is extremely proud of the fact that he can skate forwards (with the helper thingy) faster than I can skate backwards. For those of you who have seen me skate know that's really not saying much, but it's pretty darn exciting for him! As for Leah, she continues to change hourly. She is attempting to say new words every day ("Go Riders" being the first 2words she successfully strung together - on Grey Cup Sunday no less - atta girl!). At her 1-year appointment, she weighed in at 20 pounds even and remains in the 33rd percentile for weight and height (that said, the Corneil cranium lives on - she's 75th percentile for head circumference...!). She remains perfectly content to do her awkward-looking bum-scoot and has absolutely no desire to even attempt to walk (I'm anxious to see if she can beat her Mom's record of holding off until the 18-month mark!!!).

No comments: