Wednesday, November 3, 2010

One-on-One Time

We try to find opportunities to spend one-on-one time with each of the kids. They love the attention and it gives Pete and me a chance to connect with them free of distractions. Pete had a 2-day business trip to Toronto booked for the end of October and it presented the perfect chance for him to take a special trip with one of the kids. Ethan was over-the-moon when Pete asked him to accompany him ("I didn't go on ONE airplane the whole time I was 5!!!") and they tacked on Hallowe'en weekend to give them a 4-day séjour.

They spent the weekend with Mike (Pete's brother), Shelley, Benjamin and Alex and I've heard countless stories about trick-or-treating, Hallowe'en parties and hockey games. I think Ethan really enjoyed reconnecting with his Longo cousins.






Pete had meetings on Monday and Tuesday and my parents stepped in for some quality Ethan time. They didn't have to think too long about what types of things would interest him. The first day was spent at the Science Centre and I'm still hearing stories about various things he saw and did. Day 2 was spent on the subway and a trip to Gramps' office where Ethan was given the chance to draw on the whiteboard (my Dad likes to give his grandkids a chance to draw something around the edges of the board which he then doesn't erase - he actually still has something on there that I did 15 years ago!!). Ethan chose to draw right in the middle of the board and drew a replica of the "really cool ball thing on level 4 that has splits and huge balls that you push up to the top" that he saw at the Science Centre. Hopefully Dad still has room on his board for research!!




Meanwhile back in Saskatoon, Josh, Leah and I also had a very nice time together. We were invited to a Hallowe'en party at Kelly and Cliff's and then went trick or treating with the whole gang. It was a beautiful night and we stayed out for 2 hours before finishing the night up with fireworks with our neighbours. Josh enjoyed teaching his little sister all about trick-or-treating and Leah didn't want to stop once she'd figured it all out. The first words out of her mouth the next morning were, "Winnie?? Ee-ah go trick or treat?".





The day after Pete and Ethan returned home Josh and I had our own special night out. We went to see the stage production of "Caillou" and had a great time.



No comments: