Finally it was Show and Tell time and Ethan's teacher, Mrs. Eager, asked him what he had brought. He pointed to Leah and she suggested he also "show" Joshua. Both boys loved this suggestion and Josh bounded up to the front to join his brother. I sat on a chair holding Leah and Ethan started. I had given my camera to Ethan's other teacher, Mrs. Duncan, to take a video but unfortunately I hadn't set it up properly so we don't have it documented (UGH, what a bummer!). I'll do my best to relay everything while it's still fresh in my mind. Picture a very serious and matter-of-fact Ethan:
Ethan: "This is my brother Josh. QUESTIONS???"
Mrs. Eager: "Can you tell us a bit more about Josh before you take questions?"
Ethan: "We play together. QUESTIONS???"
Kid: "Where do you keep it?"
Mrs. Eager: "Now children, you must think about what you're going to ask. Ethan brought PEOPLE with him, not a toy. You'll have to come up with different questions than the usual ones you ask."
Kid: "Why are there stripes on his shirt?"
Ethan: "Because that's how it's made."
Kid: "What's his favourite thing at the playground?"
Ethan: "Sometimes he likes the slide. Sometimes he don't."
Mrs. Eager: "Sometimes he doesn't."
Kid: "If he falls down on the slide does he cry?"
Ethan: "He doesn't fall down on the slide."
Kid: "Does he cry a lot?"
Ethan: "Yes"
Kid: "Do you sleep together?"
Ethan: "We sleep in the same room. We have different beds."
Kid: "What's his favourite colour?"
Ethan: "Josh what's your favourite colour?"
Josh: "Um um um um um um um um um RED"
Kid: "What's his favourite toy?"
Ethan: "Me"
Mrs. Eager: "Joshua, do you have a favourite toy besides Ethan?"
Josh: "Um um um um um um um um um the car table"
Kid: "What do you play?"
Ethan: "Sometimes we play outside. Sometimes I play outside alone. Josh gets cold and cries."
Mrs. Eager: "Ok, let's move on to your little sister Ethan."
Ethan: "This is my little sister. QUESTIONS???"
Mrs. Eager: "Ethan, how about you tell us her name."
Ethan: "Her name is Leah. QUESTIONS???"
Kid: "How old is she?"
Ethan: "She is zero but also 3 months."
Kid: "Can she play with you?"
Ethan: "She looks at me. I look at her."
Kid: "Why do you look at her?"
Ethan: "Because I want to."
Kid: "What else does she look at?"
Ethan: "Scooby Doo is too scary for her. She likes Cars. She likes Dinoco and Lightning McQueen. She doesn't like Wiki Tikis."
Kid: "Does she cry a lot?"
Ethan: "Yes"
Kid: "Does she eat food?"
Ethan: "Not yet. My Mommy gives her milk from here" (at which point I get jabbed in the right boob)
Kid: "Why is her shirt pink?"
Ethan: "Because that's how it's made."
Kid: "Does she only wear pink shirts?"
Ethan: "No she has other colours."
Kid: "Does she have teeth?"
Ethan: "No"
At this point all the kids started comparing all of their younger siblings and Leah started to fuss so we wrapped it up. All the kids clapped and Ethan was SOOOOO proud of himself. It was all I could do to drag Josh out of there - he's been talking about little else since and can't wait to start preschool when he turns 3. When Ethan got home he asked me the standard question, "When is it my show and tell again?" After I told him we'd have to wait for the April calendar to come home from school, he announced that he already knows what he wants to take... "MOMMY!!" (Incidentally, Daddy was Ethan's first-ever show and tell when he was 3).
Until next time...

No comments:
Post a Comment