... STITCHES!!! In our almost 6 years of parenting we've dealt with 5 rounds of stitches. Is that some kind of record?? Before you question a call to Child Services, I should point out that most of said incidences involved a full-out run followed by a clumsy trip on literally nothing into an inanimate object. Is it any wonder we're in no rush for Leah to start walking/tripping? While they may be cute, these Longo munchkins lack some serious coordination!!
Rewind to Friday night. It's 5:00 pm. The kids and I are all in my room sorting laundry and waiting for Dad to come home. Pete and I have a curling funspiel to go to and we have to pick the babysitter up at 6:00 pm. Josh is on the bed and drops the dinosaur that he's playing with over the edge. Rather than going foot-first off the bed to retrieve it and then climb back up, Josh insists that he can reach it by stretching out head-first. He does not heed my warnings and sure enough slides off the bed. I saw the whole thing happen and still have no idea what the back of his head hit on the way down (the dinosaur perhaps?), but sure enough the blood-scream ensued and with good reason (geez do head wounds bleed!). We made it to the bathroom and grabbed a towel while Ethan jumped into action (holy cow did he impress me!). Ethan ran downstairs to get the icepack from the freezer, delivered it with a tea-towel and then went to call Pete. Meanwhile Josh kept uttering, "I'm sorry I didn't listen Mommy. Are you mad?". Once the bleeding was under control, I parted the matted mop and realized our night's plans were about to change. Pete came home at 5:15 pm and agreed we had to take him in. So Josh and I jumped in the van and drove to the minor emergency clinic down the road. The good thing about being a "veteran stitches Mom" is that I've learned a few tricks along the way. If you go in to that particular clinic and you're still bleeding, you're prioritized and given a room right away. So up goes Josh's hood and in we go. Sure enough we're in a room moments later with nurses assessing him. Only one stich was required and a short wait later the doc came in. Josh was very brave and only stopped singing "The Moon" for a few startled and painful seconds when the first needle went in. We made it home by 6:10 pm and Pete and I were able to go curling as scheduled. Josh is no worse for wear and is still proudly carting around his extra stitches the doctor gave him as a keepsake.
I've been looking forward to writing a "Josh update" for awhile now but certainly didn't intend for it to be like this! He's doing really great these days. He's absolutely thriving at preschool and making lots of new friends. He has become quite an awesome skater so we've registered him in Canskate for a few lessons in April. He's also a little fish like his brother and will now swim unassisted with his life jacket on and tackle the local pool's water slide solo.
In honour of our fabulous 3.5 year old, I'm posting a video of him singing his favourite song. Enjoy!
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment